Process for Purchasing a Habitat Home
Based on historical levels of community donations, Habitat for Humanity of Goochland has been able to build one or two homes per year. All qualified families are encouraged to apply for the chance to become a Partner family and purchase a Habitat home.
Applicants Must Meet the Following Qualifications:
- Be a resident of Goochland County for at least one year
- Currently have inadequate shelter
- Be ineligible for home mortgage financing
- Show proof that family income falls within Goochland Habitat guidelines – presently between $21,000 and $42,000
- Have ability to make initial down payment and mortgage payments
- Show willingness to partner with Habitat through minimum commitment of 300 hours of sweat equity
- Attend a Habitat orientation meeting
- Demonstrate financial responsibility verified by a credit report
- Provide references from neighbors, friends, creditors, and employers
What Is The Cost to the Partner Family?
Habitat is not a giveaway program, but rather a way for low-income families to afford purchasing a modest, safe home. Habitat homes are sold to Partner families at no profit – financed with affordable, no interest loans.
Recent HHG homes have cost approximately $100,000. Based on a 30-year no interest mortgage, the monthly mortgage, insurance and tax payment that the Partner family is responsible for is close to $450 per month.
How Are Partner Families Selected?
Qualifying families submit an application to Habitat for Humanity of Goochland. The Family Selection Committee chooses Partner families based on their level of need, their willingness to become partners in the program, and their ability to repay the no-interest loan.
Every Habitat affiliate follows a non-discriminatory policy of family selection. Neither race nor religion is a factor in choosing families who receive Habitat homes.
If you meet the qualifications outlined above, proceed to the Contact Tab, provide the information requested, and check the box regarding your desire to apply to become a HHG Partner family. A Family Selection Committee member will then get back with you directly to provide more details.